V/A - Temporary: Selections From Dunedin's Pop Underground 2011-2014 LP
The tiny city of Dunedin, located in the Otago Region of New Zealand, is synonymous with smart bands, incredible melodies and a wholly distinct and innovative music. Thanks to The Clean, The Chills, The Bats, The Verlaines, and The Dead C, Dunedin has amassed a worldwide reputation for innovative music.
In conjunction with local Dunedin label Fishrider Records, Ba Da Bing presents a compilation on the Dunedin of today. These bands have all created their own sound separate from the shadow of their city’s past, yet they retain the air of slightly disturbed melancholia, space and distance from the rest of the world so many of their predecessors shared. Whether it is dark synth-pop, teen angst noise pop, guitar & organ jangle, or all-out psychedelic weirdness, these songs all hail from an isolated place on the edge of the world. Yet again, an extraordinary number of incredible groups are populating the scene, and the songs on Temporary are the best of the best. A Dunedin Double Plus Good, if you will.
1. Mavis Gary - Dim The Droog
2. Death & The Maiden - Flowers For The Blind
3. The Prophet Hens - All Over The World
4. Males - Dead Aware
5. Mr. Biscuits - My Plums Are Ripe
6. Opposite Sex - Supermarket
7. Strange Harvest - Amnesia
8. The Shifting Sands - All The Stars
9. Astro Children - Gaze
10. Kane Strang - Winded
11. Bad Sav - Buy Something New
12. Scattered Brains Of The Lovely Union - Party To Your Om
13. Trick Mammoth - Home Video